Just like in human medicine, veterinary care and services can be expensive and unaffordable. When we go to into our own doctor’s office, we pay a copay or a fraction of the actual cost of our visit, because most of us have health insurance.
Veterinary medicine, is similar to human medicine, in that the costs associated with services and laboratory fees are much the same, yet many of us don’t have pet insurance for our fur babies. Pet insurance, is designed to provide financial protection for the cost of wellness care and/or unexpected veterinary bills.
This ensures that the cost of care never stands in the way of your pet receiving the medical attention they need whenever they are sick or injured. Pet insurance typically covers a wide range of medical expenses related to unexpected accidents and illnesses.
While coverage can vary depending on the policy, many pet insurance plans include the following:
- Accidents: Coverage for injuries sustained from unexpected accidents, such as broken bones, lacerations, or swallowed objects.
- Illnesses: Coverage for acute illnesses and chronic conditions like ear infections, UTIs, cancer, diabetes, and allergies.
- Diagnostic tests: Coverage for laboratory tests, X-rays, MRI scans, and other diagnostic procedures.
- Surgeries: Coverage for planned procedures and emergency surgeries and hospitalization.
- Medications: Coverage for prescription medications, including ongoing medications for chronic conditions.
Some companies may also offer additional coverage for preventive care, wellness visits, dental procedures, behavioral therapy, and alternative therapies like acupuncture or chiropractic treatments. It’s important to carefully review the policy details to understand what is covered.
Choosing the right pet insurance policy can be overwhelming with the many options available. Pet owners can use a resource like Pawlicy.com or simply search pet insurance online to get a personalized recommendation on the best plan for their specific pet, with the ability to compare top companies.
VCA Neshaminy Animal Hospital is located at 4197 East Bristol Road in Oakford, PA. Call 215-355-1116 to schedule an appointment.
PHOTO CAP: Sherman says, “I’m so happy mommy got pet insurance! I love to get into the trash and now she can afford the foreign body removal surgery.”