Are you looking to get involved in a worthwhile charitable endeavor, but wary of burdensome time commitments or tedious projects? The Yardley-Makefield Lions Club might be a good fit for you. In our club, there is no pressure — each member gives the time that they can.
Simply put, Lions are groups of service-minded men and women who are interested in improving our community. We are young people, families, and baby boomers alike. Lions meet the needs of local communities and the world, and though Lions are well known for successful initiatives in vision health, Lions service is as diverse as our members.
This chapter was founded in 2014 to help those in need in and around the Lower Makefield and Yardley areas. One hundred percent of our donations and money collected through our fundraisers go towards our various community support projects. Lions club members pay annual dues to cover the administrative expenses of running our club and fundraisers.
To become a Lion is to become an active volunteer, a member of a respected international organization, a leader in your community and a friend to people in need.
Some of our recent community initiatives include:
- Supporting multiple food pantries in the region, including the Bucks County Housing Group’s Penndel Pantry.
- Assisting the Family Service Association of Bucks County with its Emergency Homeless Shelter in Levittown.
- Helping Operation Warm, which provides coats to the needy within the Pennsbury School District.
- Donating to Casey Schaeffer’s Full House Carnival.
- Providing help to Big Brothers Big Sisters for its annual programs.
- Sponsoring the Snipes Farm Day Camp so that low-income children can attend.
- Collecting used eyeglasses and donating them to be recycled for new glasses for the needy.
- Participating in an Angel Tree program to purchase gifts for those who wouldn’t otherwise have them for the holidays.
- Advocating for health and diabetes awareness.
Anyone interested in the Lions Club should send an email to DanBornstein@comcast.net, and, if you wish, attend one of our meetings before joining.
Our meetings are held on the second Wednesday of the month at 7pm, at Lower Makefield Township Community Center, 1550 Oxford Valley Road, Yardley.