Doylestown Hospital was founded in 1923 by the Village Improvement Association of Doylestown (VIA), a forward-thinking women’s civic organization founded in 1895 that recognized the need for emergency and maternity services early in the 20th century. The VIA established a visiting nurse service prior to the founding of the original hospital, an eight-bed facility located in Doylestown Borough. Today, the VIA still oversees the governance of Doylestown Hospital, which is licensed for 232 beds at its West State Street location.
The Central Bucks East and West Girls’ Soccer teams, in partnership with Doylestown Hospital, held a Kick for Pink game on October 14, at War Memorial Field in Doylestown. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month, the event raised funds to support women in our community who are being treated for breast cancer. The event acknowledged women who are breast cancer survivors, have been affected by breast cancer, or are representing a woman who lost her life to the disease.
The Ann Silverman Community Health Clinic was established as The Free Clinic of Doylestown in October 1994. The name was changed in 2008 to honor Ann Silverman, a long-time board member and supporter of the clinic.
The clinic provides primary medical care and referrals to medical specialists; prescription medications; outpatient medical testing and services; vision care and eyeglasses; social services; dental exams and x-rays, dental hygiene, and referral to dentists’ offices for treatment.
Doylestown Hospital celebrated its 90th anniversary in 2013. The original hospital, an eight-bed facility located on Pine Street and Oakland Avenue in Doylestown Borough, was dedicated in 1923.
The hospital was founded by the Village Improvement Association of Doylestown (VIA), a forward-thinking women’s civic organization that recognized the need for healthcare services in the community early in the 20th century.