submitted by ShopRite – Yardley
Prep: 20 minutes • Cook: 25 minutes • Serves: 14
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup hot sauce, divided
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay® seasoning
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cut okra, thawed
1. Attach deep fryer thermometer to side of high-sided large skillet; add oil and heat over medium heat 10 minutes or until oil temperature reaches 350°. Line rimmed baking pan with parchment paper; line second rimmed baking pan with paper towel.
2. In small bowl, whisk garlic, mayonnaise, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons hot sauce and Cajun seasoning. Makes about 1 cup.
3. In wide, shallow dish, whisk buttermilk and remaining 2 tablespoons hot sauce. In separate wide, shallow dish, whisk flour, cornmeal and Old Bay seasoning. Dip okra in buttermilk mixture, allowing excess to drip off, then in flour mixture to coat, pressing lightly so flour mixture adheres; place on parchment paper-lined pan.
4. In 5 batches, add okra to oil and cook 5 minutes or until golden brown; with slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel-lined pan and keep warm. Makes about 7 cups.
5. Serve okra with Cajun Aioli.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (1/2 cup okra, heaping 1 tablespoon Cajun Aioli): 255 Calories, 21g Fat, 3g Saturated Fat, 7mg Cholesterol, 328mg Sodium, 15g Carbohydrates, 2g Fiber, 2g Sugars, 0g Added Sugars, 3g Protein