CHECK OUT THE NEW BUCKSBLOGSPOT. HELP FOR BUCKS COUNTY BUSINESSES AND ECONOMIC RECOVERY – BUCKSBLOGSPOT

What are the most common household toxins for pets?

submitted by VCA Neshaminy Animal Hospital, www.vcahospitals.com/neshaminy 

As a pet owner, you want to keep your furry friend safe and healthy, but your pet’s curious nature sometimes can get them into trouble. Animals investigate the world with their mouths and they can ingest poisonous substances accidentally. 

Pets and over-the-counter (OTC) medications

Even OTC medications can be dangerous to your pet. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories, such as ibuprofen and naproxen, can cause acute kidney failure and should never be given to pets. Tylenol and aspirin should also be avoided.

Do not try to treat your pet’s medical problems without consulting your veterinarian. 

Human prescription medications and pets

ADHD medications, antidepressants, and heart medications are most often accidentally ingested by pets, although your pet can suffer significant side effects from any human medication they eat.

Keep all medications, both prescription and over-the-counter, safely stored inside a cabinet or up high where they can’t be reached.

Foods toxic to pets

Keep the following toxic foods away from your beloved companion: Chocolate; Xylitol (often found in sugar-free gum); Macadamia nuts; Grapes and raisins; Onions; Garlic; Alcohol; Caffeinated drinks; Raw yeast dough; Raw or undercooked meat.

Plants toxic to pets

Plants found in flower beds, vegetable gardens, and indoor planters and arrangements can be toxic to pets. Cats are sensitive to many plant types, but dogs also can be at risk.

The most common toxic plants include: Autumn crocus; Azalea; Cyclamen; Daffodils; Dieffenbachia; Hyacinth; Kalanchoe; Lily of the valley; Lilies; Oleander; Sago palm; and Tulips.

Garden products and pets

Many products used on lawns, gardens, and flowerbeds can be toxic.

Fertilizers made from bone or blood meal are tempting to pets and can cause pancreatitis, or can clump in the intestines or stomach, causing a blockage.

Other fertilizers and herbicides applied to lawns also may contain toxic chemicals.

Rodenticides and Insecticides

Products designed to kill rodents and insects are particularly dangerous. Rodenticides and insecticides kill rodents and insects by causing internal bleeding, high calcium levels, brain swelling, or toxic gas production. Never put bait where your pet can find it.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x