You do not need to be a resident of the township to join. The Society was founded in 1993 to save the John Moland House (ca. 1754).
This historic house was abandoned in 1986, and finally was condemned due to neglect. Now, over thirty years later, it stands as a proud monument to our nation’s past and to General Washington and the 11,000 troops who camped here for 13 days in August 1777.
At this National Register house, the Marquis de Lafayette and Count Casimir Pulaski joined the American cause.
The WTHS was responsible for the fundraising, planning and oversight of the restoration. Our mission today has expanded significantly, as we are responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the Moland House and grounds.
We pay the bills, make the improvements necessary to the property to keep it safe and attractive, and offer programs to provide educational and recreational resources for the community.
But, if we do not get more volunteers for leadership roles and tasks like gardening, landscaping, and archival work, this beautiful resource could all disappear in few years.
Our members provide school field trips and we have had hundreds of children come to learn first hand about the American Revolution and colonial life.
We have a formal garden that is magnificant from spring through fall.
On the twelve acres that surround the house there is a nature trail that winds for a mile through the woods with educational stops along the way.
We feature a picnic grove with tables and charcoal grills, and a great place to fish on the banks of the Neshaminy Creek. The site has become a favored place for family, wedding, and graduation photographs. The Museum features 18th century furnishings.
We host a Spring Tea, a Christmas Dinner, and our Annual Revolutionary War Reenactment in August featuring military demonstrations, 18th Century entertainment, and colonial crafts.
Contact us at 215-918-1754, or email@example.com.
PHOTO CAP: The room in the Moland House where General Washington held a Council of War with his generals at the Neshaminy Encampment on August 21, 1777.