CHECK OUT THE NEW BUCKSBLOGSPOT. HELP FOR BUCKS COUNTY BUSINESSES AND ECONOMIC RECOVERY – BUCKSBLOGSPOT

Ribbon cutting for Aquetong Spring Park marks official opening

Solebury Township hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony at Aquetong Spring Park on Friday, September 24th to mark the official opening of its new 48-acre park.

With most of the major construction now completed, the park is now open for public use.

Solebury’s vision includes a recreational, interpretive and educational resource in a passive setting that emphasizes its environmentally sensitive location and surroundings.

Many natural trails wind their way throughout the park in a variety of directions, in addition to the paved trail connector that parallels Route 202.

Directional signs are located along the pathways along with benches and overlook areas. A trail and site map can be downloaded from the Solebury Township website.

The actual spring water cascades over a waterfall, then meanders through the twists and turns of the stream that makes it way to the Delaware River.

The Aquetong Spring property was purchased by Solebury Township in 2009 from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

The site contains one of the largest cold-water limestone springs in the state, a substantial waterfall, several historic structures and buildings, and a large area of woodlands, natural growth, animal habitats and abundant wildlife. 

In addition to being a valuable natural resource, the spring has a rich historical and cultural heritage. The water flow from the spring was a primary source for the hydro-power that facilitated the many downstream flour, saw and paper mills which ushered in the industrial development of the area. Remains of some of these old buildings, mills, and a kiln with twin ovens can be found downstream from the spring.

Early records indicate that Aquetong Spring was a favorite resort and camp ground for various Native American Indian tribes.

The Leni-Lenape Native Americans of the Delaware Tribe have a historic presence at the site dating back to the early 1600’s. There is evidence that they had a village near the spring as early as 1647. 

Get outdoors and enjoy a day at Aquetong Spring and its natural surroundings. Ample parking is available and the park is open from sunrise to sunset every day.

PHOTO CAPS:

  1. Performing the ribbon-cutting, from left, Aquetong Spring Advisory Committee Chair Nancy Stock-Allen, Solebury Township Supervisor John Francis, Committee member Barry Fetterolf, and Solebury Board of Supervisors Chair Mark Baum Baicker.
  2. Gentle Moon of the Turtle Clan of the Lenape people, Chief of Ceremonies for the Lenni Lenape of Pennsylvania, performed a blessing ceremony at the event.
  3. Among the attendees were Bethany and Ella Michl, and Ben Naska.
  4. The waterfall in the park.
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x