Pesto is a wonderful sauce when it comes to creating a flavorful, fresh-tasting dish.
Whether it is made with basil, arugula, sundried tomatoes, olives, pine nuts or pistachio nuts, this bold, creamy condiment will add a blast of flavor to any plate.
With just a few ingredients and great versatility, fresh pesto can be whipped up in minutes.
There are also delicious ready-made pestos available at McCaffrey’s Food Markets.
A Dozen Ways to get Creative with Pesto:
- Use pesto as a sauce on cooked meats, chicken, fish, or vegetables.
- Brush pesto on corn on the cob instead of butter.
- Spread pesto on homemade pizza crust instead of a red sauce.
- Replace pesto for mustard or mayonnaise on a sandwich or wrap.
- Add pesto to scrambled eggs.
- Whip pesto into a dip with Greek yogurt or sour cream.
- Mix into potato salad for a burst of flavor.
- Incorporate pesto into ground “meats” such as meatballs or turkey burgers.
- Smear a bit of pesto on a baguette slice and top with mozzarella for a quick appetizer.
- Stir pesto into rice, a grain, or chicken salad.
- Thin pesto with a little oil, vinegar and/or lemon juice for a quick salad vinaigrette.
- Swap out butter for a dab of pesto on a baked potato.
For a fun twist with pesto, try our Zucchini Noodles with Creamy Avocado Pesto recipe found on mccaffeys.com/recipes. Enjoy as is, or top with some sliced grilled chicken for a quick and delicious meal.
PHOTO CAP: For hundreds of menu ideas, visit mccaffreys.com/recipes!