More than a dozen Bucks County youth are among those who were honored last month for the exceptional work in alcohol, tobacco and other drug use prevention in their schools and communities.
Awards were presented at the Lead On! Youth Leadership Conference on May 22nd at Delaware Valley College in Doylestown.
The students who received Youth Volunteer Awards are:
- Sharon Derr, Hayley Gellar, Jessica Gershenfeld and McKenna Gibson, of Bensalem High School;
- Jake Weiderhold, of Benjamin Franklin Freshman Academy in Bristol Township;
- Bobby Hill, Austyn Hymon and Jordan Livingston, of Harry S. Truman High School in Bristol Township;
- Remi Schwartz, of Council Rock High School North;
- Kristin Webster, of Council Rock High School South;
- Alexa Botelho and Madison Jaronski or New Hope-Solebury High School; and
- Danielle Hanak of Pennsbury High School.
The LYFT Teen Advisory Board at Pennsbury High School will also receive a Youth Volunteer Award.
LYFT brings together representatives from Lower Makefield, Yardley, Falls and Tullytown in an effort to reduce risk-taking behavior and maximize access to prevention education opportunities and resources.
Members of the Teen Advisory Board are Josh Booker, JoAnn Cucuru, Jacinta Davis, Sara Elwell, Brandon Hines, Jon Leventry, Brandi Morris, Austin Peek and Jared Petty. The adult advisor is Lizette Morales-Chomicki.
All 13 Bucks County school districts and community groups from throughout the county involved in prevention efforts were invited to submit nominees for consideration. Award recipients were chosen based on their leadership initiative and level of involvement in creative prevention-related activities.
The Bucks County Drug and Alcohol Commission, Inc., funds the awards.
For information about the Lead On! Youth Leadership Conference, call 215-345-6644 or visit http://leadonconference.org.