submitted By Dr. Bruce Lewandowski, owner, Lewandowski Chiropractic & Nutritional Healing, www.lewandowskichiro.com
Women in their mid-thirties to early fifties complain that they have either plateaued in their effort to lose weight or are gaining weight. Has this happened to you? The emotional distress behind this appears to be more of an issue than lack of weight loss itself. So, why is it otherwise healthy individuals are putting forth consistent and tremendous effort to lose weight with negligible results?
A few basic possibilities need to be looked at:
1. Thyroid function is abnormal. Hypothyroid is the leading problem. Most likely issues are not showing up in blood yet, but they eventually will. Proper target supplements to bolster function will help.
2. Adrenal fatigue. Chronic stress and the hurried existence we live tax the body, and most specifically the adrenals. Rest, meditation, supplementation, and in fact, reduced exercise go a long way.
3. Insulin spikes throughout the day. The key is to eat foods with lower glycemic indexes. That means, don’t eat something that quickly converts to sugar and forces your pancreas to surge insulin throughout your body. Combine protein and oils with carbohydrates.
4. Lack of water. Please drink more water.
5. Excessive fruit intake. See number three above.
6. Lack of protein. Eat close to your body’s weight in grams of protein. A 150 pound person should eat approximately 120 – 150 grams of protein each day. It is much harder than it seems.
7. Exercise. You may have once done grueling gym workouts with heavy weight lifting, kick boxing or running. As one ages, these activities can evolve to walking, stretching, elliptical workouts and other lower impact activities. This is ok as each stage of life will require different exercise intensities.
8. Rest and recovery. Resting the body is important, especially as we age. As part of recovery, consider protein powder shakes within one hour of working out.
While every individual has their sticking points, you can overcome them. Why would you think weight loss wouldn’t be challenging? Everything in life you desire has its challenges and weight loss is no different. Half the fun is figuring out and overcoming your particular obstacles.