Doane Academy announced last month the acquisition of the former Boudinot School, located directly across West Pearl Street from its present campus in Burlington, NJ.
The acquisition increases the size of Doane’s campus by approximately 15% and provides room for the school to expand its facilities and programs to better serve its students and faculty.
The property acquired by Doane was owned by the school until 1955, when it was sold to the city.
Thus, the addition of the property to Doane’s campus represents a reacquisition of acreage that was part of its original campus.
Doane, which was founded as St. Mary’s Hall in 1837, is an independent, coeducational day school that serves over 230 students from age three through grade 12.
“This purchase is about our past, as it reunites us with property that was once part of our campus, but it’s much more about our future,” remarked George Sanderson, Doane’s Headmaster. “We look forward to determining how the newly acquired property can help us to continue to develop and support outstanding academic and extracurricular programs for our school community.”
The property Doane acquired includes two lots, separated by Ellis Street, including where the former Boudinot School stands.
The school closed in July, 2018 and was put up for sale by the Board of Education later that year. “We feel very fortunate to have this opportunity because it is so rare for property contiguous to our campus to become available for purchase. This investment is an important statement about the bright future of Doane Academy,” Sanderson commented.