submitted by Beth Ceccarelli, MS, RD, LDN, ShopRite.com
Now that blueberry season has finally arrived, blueberry fans have cause for rejoice!
There are countless ways to add this sweet superfruit to recipe creations that are perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
And if you’re a fan of baked goods, there are lots of “better-for-you” options that are easy to assemble and cook!
Below are some fun facts about blueberries:
- They pack a punch. A one-cup serving of blueberries is just 80 calories, and provides almost four grams of fiber and lots of healthy vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, vitamin K and manganese (which helps keep bones healthy and strong).
- They’re “super” healthy. Did you know that some studies have linked consumption of blueberries to better memory and brain health as well as a lower risk of heart disease? It’s true! If that’s not enough to convince you to add these sweet berries to your diet, it has also been reported that eating blueberries helps control blood sugar in people with diabetes.
- They’re not just for pie. While I love a wild blueberry pie as much as the next person, blueberries are unexpectedly delicious when used in some unusual ways. Scatter them on top of a pizza, toss them in a salad, put them on a grilled sandwich or make a refreshing blueberry lemonade or iced tea.
- They can be enjoyed year-round. While nothing compares to the taste of a fresh blueberry, thanks to modern-day conveniences, there’s no need to restrict your blueberry consumption to just spring and summer. Blueberries can now be enjoyed any time of year given their availability in supermarkets. Frozen blueberries are just as delicious as any fresh varieties and are picked and packaged at their peak. Use them just as you would fresh berries in baked goods, pancakes, smoothies or in any of the ideas mentioned above.
- They are easy to freeze. If fresh blueberries are your thing, store them in gallon bags and pop them in your freezer yourself! They can be enjoyed for up to six months.