submitted by Chef Steven of McCaffrey’s Food Markets, mccaffreys.com
With this chef-created recipe, leftover pieces of ham will go out in style.
Crispy Bacon and Ham Macaroni and Cheese
1 lb. fusilli
1 Quart milk, heated
½ cup flour
1/3 cup olive oil
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded fontina cheese
½ cup shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese
½ lb. crispy bacon, broken into pieces
1 cup diced left over Easter Ham
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 stick butter, melted
- Bring a large pot of salted boiling water to a boil, cook the fusilli al dente, and drain (do not rinse with water).
- In a small pot heat olive oil, add in flour to form a roux, cook slowly until amber in color add in heated milk until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, gradually add in cheeses. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add in cooked fusilli, bacon and diced ham toss well, pour into a buttered coated oven safe dish.
- Add melted butter to bread crumbs and mix well, top pasta with buttered breadcrumbs and evenly distribute.
- Place in a pre-heated 350-degree oven and bake uncovered for approx. 20 minutes.
FYI – For more great recipes and all things food- and drink-related, visit mccaffreys.com. Please join their Registered Dietitian for a free nutrition event, Eat This, Not That! Healthy Food Swaps Thursday, April 25th from 10:00-11:00am at the McCaffrey’s in Yardley in the upstairs bistro.