submitted by Earl Arrowood – Professor, BCCC Culinary Arts & Chef Apprenticeship Programs Coordinator
A nice refreshing and pretty cool surprise for Mom. Serve for a brunch on her day.
Pink Grapefruit Sorbet – approx. 6 portions ( 4.75-5 cups when frozen finished )
1.5 Cups Granulated sugar
1.75 Cups Water
2 TBS. freshly grated pink grapefruit zest
1.25 Cups freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice
.25 Cup fresh lemon OR lime juice
1 egg white
- Combine sugar, zest and water in a medium stainless steel pan. * Do NOT use aluminum pan. Remove from the heat when all the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the grapefruit juice and the lemon /lime juice.
- Transfer the sorbet mixture to a non-reactive storage container (shallow plastic with a cover or can be clear-wrapped OR a plastic tub with lid is fine). Refrigerate for at least six hours.
- After the six hours, add the lightly beaten egg white into the mixture, and combine thoroughly.
- Freeze sorbet mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. When slushy and soft frozen remove from maker and place in a non-reactive container and freeze for minimum of two hours before serving.
***If you do not own an ice cream maker you can “shallow pan” freeze this and fork “rake” it every half hour or so to fluff the sorbet before service.
If you wish to garnish fancy… drizzle a bit of Campari over the top of each portion. A sprig of fresh basil or tarragon is also a nice touch.