by Tianna Grosch
It wouldn’t be summer without live music and festivals – everything from bluegrass to rock n’ roll is being performed this summer, so dust off those blankets and open your ears to the sounds of summer 2017. In true festival form, bring a blanket to lie out on the lawn and relax to refreshing, live and local tunes from all genres. Most concert series listed are free to the public.
2017 Levitt AMP Trenton Music Series Program. Every Thursday from 5:00 – 8:00pm. Historic Mill Hill Park, Morrisville. Please bring lawn chairs or blankets and the entire family for an evening of fun-filled music. Free parking is offered in the Liberty Commons Parking Garage located on Front Street. For more information regarding parking, guidelines, and directions, please visit www.levittamp.org/trenton.
Schedule as follows:
- July 6 – “Agudos Clef” (from Trenton) opens for “Sotomayor” – Latin-inspired Electronic Fusion from Mexico
- July 13 – “Ja-Tun & Random Acts of Soul” opens for “Jeff Brandshaw” – smooth jazz/funk/R&B from Philadelphia
- July 20 – “Kyrie London” opens for “Lawrence” – soul pop from New York City
- July 27 – “Switch Mob” opens for “Viva La Hop” – funk/jazz/hip hop from Boston
- Aug 3 – “Paul Plumeri” (from Trenton) opens for “The Steppin’ Stones” – blues rock from Nashville
- Aug 10 – “Black Collar Biz” (from Trenton) opens for “Bad Rabbits” – mix of R&B/soul/rock from Boston
- Aug 17 – “Chalk & The Beige Machine”, a mix of afrobeat/dance/funk from New York
- Aug 24 – “Groovy Movies” opens for “The Weeklings” (Beatles-influenced Power Pop from Asbury Park)
Bluegrass & Blueberries Festival. Saturday, July 15, and Sunday, July 16, 10:00am-6:00pm. Peddler’s Village, Lahaska. July is National Blueberry Month! Join Peddler’s Village in celebrating these delicious, round berries which make the summer that much sweeter, and enjoy some wonderful bluegrass tunes. Held rain or shine – admission and parking are free.
Concert Sundaes in the Park 2017. All concerts begin at 7:00pm. Maurice W. Foulke Bandshell in Souderton Park. Come out for live music and refreshments (ice cream!) in Souderton Park. Visit concertsundaes.com for more information. All concerts are free to the public, and the schedule is as follows:
- July 2 (fireworks rain date) – “Allentown Band” (their 26th year!)
- July 9 – “Travis Wetzel Trio” – Bluegrass – Fiddle/violin, banjo, mandolin, guitar, vocals
- July 16 – “The Big House Band”, one of Philly’s top party bands
- July 23 – “DePue Brothers Band” – Grassical, a lively blend of bluegrass, classical & rock
- July 30 – “Quakertown Band”, concert band
- August 6 – “Robert Eric Band”, Billy Joel tribute
Music on Main. Saturdays, 6:00 – 8:00pm. Buttonwood Plaza, 15 S. Main Street, Yardley. Kicking off its third season of outdoor concerts, Music on Main offers a diverse array of music live in downtown Yardley. Everything from jazz, bluegrass, acoustic modern rock, Latin American and Peruvian folk, Calypso and Reggae steel drum music, folk rock, alternative pop, and Hula music thrown in for some added fun!
- July 1 – “Joe DiVita Steel Drum Duo”
- July 8 – “New Vintage Dixieland Band”
- July 15 – “RichieNavigator Band”
- July 22 – “The River Dancers”
- Aug 5 – “De Tierra Caliente”
- Aug 12 – “Hu La La Polynesian Arts”
Red, White & Blue BBQ Bash. July 2, noon – 5:00pm. Peddler’s Village, the Main Green, Lahaska. A classic barbecue picnic is a perfect and patriotic way to celebrate July 4th at Peddler’s Village. Featuring live music, family entertainment, and activities for the kids. Come out and show your colors at this BBQ Bash!
Penn Community Bank Summer Concert Series. Wednesdays through August 30th. Bensalem Township Amphitheater. Tickets are sold at the amphitheater – $5 for Bensalem residents and $10 for non-residents. Special senior discounts; children 12 and under may attend for free. Parking is free, and the venue is handicapped accessible.
To learn more and for a schedule of concerts, visit the http://www.pcbaevents.com/.
The Friday Night UnWINEd. Recurring weekly on Fridays 5:30 – 9:30pm. Shady Brook Farm in Yardley, Festival Field. $5 cover charge – children under 23 months free.
Head out to the heart of Yardley for some local, live music and explore downtown while you’re at it.
This summer, every Friday until September 1, not only will you find live music but also a wine tasting by Rose Bank Winery featuring brewed craft beer, excellent food, and fun for the kids – jumping pillows, the playground, and racing on SBF 500 pedal go-carts. For more information, visit their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/musiconmainyardley/. Schedule below:
- June 30 – “The Mango Men” – Jimmy Buffet tribute band
- July 7 – “Philly Rock & Soul” – Rock/Soul/Party band
- July 14 – “RGM Project” – Pop/Party band
- July 21 – “The Sherwood Brothers” – Country/Classic Rock/Pop
- July 28 – “Scoville” Blues
- Aug 4 – “The Chatter Band” – party band
- Aug 11 & 18 – TBA
- Aug 25 – “Big Whiskey” – Southern Rock
Be sure to get out this summer and listen to all that Bucks County has to offer!